So, how do you create a well-made website?
It is actually a lot easier than you might think it is. Maybe you are about to develop a brand new website, or perhaps updating an already existing one. Either way, these seven principles that you are about to learn will help you - making your website effective, engaging, easy to use and memorable for visitors.
First thing first, thinking of yourself as a visitor to your website is essential. A website is not judged by its creator. It is judged by the user. Websites that are not well designed tend to perform poorly and have sub-optimal Google Analytics metrics (e.g. high bounce rates, low time on site, low pages per visit and low conversions). There are a lot of factors that are playing a part in the creating of a website. It is not only about how good it looks, but also how easy it is to use. Now, let’s move on to the 5 principles!
1. PurposeYour website needs to have a clear purpose. In the most effective way possible it has to fulfill a specific need for your website users. What are they searching for? Is it information, entertainment, some type of interaction, or is to transact with your business? Well made web design ALWAYS caters to the need of the user.
3. ImagesA picture is worth a thousand words. Not only do great images give your website a great look and personality or help with brand positioning and connecting with your target audience. Great images can also be used for communicating. As the first sentence says, “A picture is worth a thousand words”. The right image can have a great impact on people and can be perfect for giving a message. E.g. this image shows a clear message that I guess most of us understand...
Do also consider to use infographics, videos and graphics as these can also be very efficient in communicating, even more efficient than a well-written text.
4. ColorsPicking the right colors for your website is as important as choosing the right colors for your clothes. By a well thought out color palette, the user experience can be enhanced a lot.
- Complementary colors, create harmony and balance.
- Contrasting colors can be used for the text and background, making it easier on the eye.
- Vibrant colors, create emotion and should not be used very often. E.g. it could be used for buttons.
- White space (also called negative space), is very effective to give your website a modern and stylish look.
5. NavigationNavigation is all about how easy it is for people to take action and move around your website. The following tactics for effective navigation are:
- a logical page hierarchy using breadcrumbs.
- designing clickable buttons.
- follow the “three click rule” which means, within three clicks, users will be able to find what they looking for.
Another tactic, or should I say tool, that still is not very used on websites, but which is truly effective and provides great customer service, is “Live Chat”. This does not only help people to answer their questions. It can also help people to navigate on your website making it like a personal experience for them.
6. CommunicationClear communication is important as people on the web tend to want information quickly. Remember the example with the restaurant? The same example can be applied here, but with the menu. Imagine a menu where the information about the dishes is not organized, takes too long time to read and does not give a clear picture of what their is to eat. It makes you confused and will probably make you leave for another restaurant before even getting hosted by a sweet waitress or waiter. It works exactly the same for websites. Make the information easy to read and digest so that you do not lose a visitor for another website. Organize the information, using headlines and subheadlines, using bullet points instead of long windy sentences, and cutting the waffle.
7. Mobile FriendlyToday’s access to the digital world can basically be done from anywhere through multiple devices. For example, a mobile phone can be seen as the today’s connector between the real- and the digital world. Therefore, it is important to consider if your website is mobile friendly. If it is not mobile friendly, you can either: • Rebuild it in a responsive layout ► your website will adjust to different screen widths. • Build a dedicated mobile site ► a separate website optimised specifically for mobile users.
So, how do you create a well-made website? Now you hopefully know. Interested in making a brand new website or perhaps thinking about updating an already existing one? We at INIT Consultants are more than glad to help you and contribute with our website development experience. We hope you enjoyed the article and that you will have use of it. Remember, a website is not judged by its creator, but by its user.